CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, January 2, 2011

the good wife

 
When a friend of mine recommended that I read "The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands" by Dr. Laura Schlessinger, I have to admit that I was a little skeptical. What kind of a title is THAT, I wondered. But this friend of mine is a very reasonable, well-balanced, smart woman who has been married almost ten years. So I started reading it last night.

I just finished. What a refreshing collection of advice! I'm not a wife yet, but as I prepare myself to move into that role soon, I will openly admit that I am scared to death. What if I suck? What if I'm a crappy wife and my poor soon-to-be husband is stuck with me for the next 70 years? I wouldn't know what to do with my horrible self. So I'm trying to learn as much as I can and gather the best advice possible for this next great adventure.

I don't want to re-hash the entire book, but I can say that the main message is this: there is a double standard that says a woman can be selfish, inconsiderate, manipulative, disrespectful, and flat-out cruel to a man and he needs to just stand there and take it. Meanwhile, men have to cater to every emotional whim, mood swing, irrational fear, and unreasonable expectation of a woman, lest they be judged an insensitive jerk. You can see why Dr. Laura isn't exactly popular with the pop-psychology of the feminist movement.

But I think she's absolutely right. There is definitely a double standard and it's not one that I want in my relationship or in our marriage. I want to appreciate my fiance for his masculinity and celebrate our differences, instead of trying to turn him into a neutered puppy. I don't want a girlfriend, I want a husband, and I need to remember that when I'm trying to get him to talk for six hours about his feelings.

I'm grateful that my friend gave me this book, and I already feel better about this whole wife-business. Men are not that complicated- and they certainly aren't as complicated as women.

2 comments:

cyle talley said...

Thank you.

Shandell said...

I was given this book years ago, you have inspired me to actually crack it open!

Another good one is Wild at Heart if you haven't already read it. And it's counterpart, Cherished for Michael to read.